Skip to main content

Inspiring The Younger Generation

This week was a very exciting week. My 16 year old sister Destani had an audition for The Voice! My sister has loved to sing from a young age, but it wasn't until she was 9 we realised she had such a good voice. When Destani was 11 she entered her high school talent competition for the first year and got a special mention for her voice. Each year she entered, singing her heart out, determined she would win, and on her 4th attempt she did! Destani even auditioned 3 times for Britain's Got Talent but never made it past the second stage.

Undeterred, she decided she would apply for The Voice. But with her college exams coming up, she thought she would leave it until next year. So she was very surprised when she got an email asking her to come along to auditions in Manchester! Destani asked me if I would go with her and of course I said yes. I took my mum, May-May and OJ along too, though they weren't allowed into the hotel. 

 < Even May-May was excited to cheer her aunty on!






En route Manchester >



When we arrived, Destani had to sing a 60 second acapella song in front of 9 other competitors, a voice coach and 2 producers. There were some really good singers in her group, so she was very nervous after performing. We were told to wait to see who would progress onto the next round. Destani was so nervous, poor thing was shaking. We were all called back into the room and Destani was told to sit down, and everyone else was told sorry but they wouldn't be progressing to the next round. She'd got through!!

We couldn't believe it. Both of us were shaking and I was very close to tears (baby hormones haha!). We were then told that Destani would now sing in front of a producer from the show and one of the voice coaches in the show. She would also be filmed whilst auditioning. The producer and voice coach were so friendly, making Destani feel at ease. She sang 2 songs and then was told she'd hear in August if she'd been successful.

The reason I have wrote about this is because, not only am I proud of my sister, but she has never given up and that's 1 thing I have always told her. If you have a passion for something, if you have a dream, you keep going until you achieve it. There will be setbacks, but they only make you stronger. And Destani has cried, been disappointed, even wanted to quit singing altogether when our grandmother passed away. But she also knew how much our grandmother loved her singing, so she's persevered and it's clearly paying off. 

If you lead by example, and give the younger generation the support they need, their mindset will be so strong and they will achieve so much.

I am part of an amazing group called Business Mum Collaboration Network (if you're a business/blogger mum, come join us Business Mum Collaboration Network) and I asked these lovely ladies what they would say to inspire the younger generation based on what they have experienced in life. I have also added their business/blog links, so head on over and show some support, they really are very talented!

"Be true to yourself and you’ll be happier than trying to fit in" - Casey from Casey Cheeky Chicks

"Be her best self and never let anyone dull her sparkle" - Sher from Business Mum Collaboration Network

"Everybody is born talented and everyone is special in their own way! You can be whatever it is you want to be, it may take you a little longer, and you may have to go down a different path to get there, but if you want something bad enough you will get there!" - Gemma

"Do not be afraid of failure, it is just another step closer to success!" - Wey from Hedgehog & The Great Wall of Books

"'You can be anything you want to be, always shoot for the stars and never let anyone dull your sparkle! Be passionate about everything you do but work to live, don't live to work" - Leeanne from Coffee and Wine for the Win

" You are your own kind of normal and never let others define what you can and can't do" - Nina from Beyond Wellness with Nina Smith (Arbonne IC)

" Everyone is good at something. And nobody is better at being you, than you" - Sian from StoryProps

Keep inspiring your children from young and lead by example. At the end of the day, you will always be their inspirational person ๐Ÿ™‚

-x- Michaela -x- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: Pregnancy Journey by Life Coach Sam

This weeks pregnancy journey is by Samantha Abraham . Her journey had me laughing and i'm sure you will do the same! I gave birth to my beautiful baby number 5 at the beginning of January this year. I have 2 boys aged 21 and 8 years as well as 2 girls aged 7&5. Baby No.5 came as a huge but pleasant surprise after having decided not to have any more and quitting my job to create a start-up. Having passed the stages of denial I finally take a pregnancy test... Reality sets in and my husband and I are now passed staring at each other in silence which goes on to last a couple of months.   This eventually moves into us having conversations about our worries and what we need to do to plan for this.... unplanned, untimely pleasant little gift with the power of scaring us half to death!!! ... At some point among the madness, we do the maths and work out as tradition would have it....our little gift really was a gift!!!...as in that we worked out th...

Studies Come To A Halt

So I have decided to give up my plan to go to university. Before you all scream not to quit, let me explain. Quick re-cap. I had planned to go to university next year to study Events Management, gain experience and open my own business. I started an Access course in November last year and was doing so well. Yes it was difficult but I wasn't expecting it to be plain sailing. I took 3 months study break when I had May-May and then started back. And the stress began. My mind went blank with every assignment, I struggled to understand information and I would stress myself out so much. This continued for 2 months and I thought how on earth will I carry on? I sat down with OJ and he said to me “Mics, why are you still going to university?” I told him I needed to go to open my business and gain more experience. “No you don't. Your business is up and running, you are gaining experience by booking small events. You're only doing this access course to get you into uni, ...

The Journey Begins!

Everyone has a reason why they blog and here is mine. My goals in life are: Get married and have another baby  Gain a degree in Events Management Have my own Events business Buy a house Be financially comfortable I have planned and executed a few event's successfully but I want to have my own company. But doing this comes from experience. To gain experience I need to work as a manager. This includes having a degree. So I found a distant learning course that allows me to gain my Diploma in Business. Once I gain my Diploma, I can apply for university and get my degree. Woohoo!๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ So I had my plan. Then I found out I was pregnant. Oh the excitement was unreal! I have always wanted to be a mum and it was finally happening! But then I panicked๐Ÿ˜• How do I study with a baby? I went online to see if there were any student mum bloggers out there. I read a few but thought no point worrying until princess got here. 5 months later my wonderful partner OJ proposed to me i...